Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Inappropriate Laughter??

As a general rule, we keep the TV off while Punkin Head is awake. Occasionally we may watch an episode of House Hunters International on the weekends, but for the most part the TV is off and we have found that we really don't miss it.  When Punkin Head was a baby, she didn't seem to care whether the TV was on or not... now that she's older she is more interested in the big, noisy, colorful box; often dancing to any little tune that is playing for a commercial or getting so distracted by the TV that she stops playing with her toys all together and stares intently at the screen which I find somewhat creepy, especially since we never have kid-type shows on.

That being said, the other day I was watching a dvr'd episode of the Colbert Report (love, love, love the DVR!). Mid way through a segment, Punkin Head woke up from her nap so I paused the show and went up to retrieve my girl. As we sat down for our usual "after-nap cuddle session" I thought I'd just go ahead and watch the last minute or so of this portion of the show.

The Colbert Report was doing a response to Summer's Eve "Hail to the V" commercials (which are totally ridiculous and offensive to women on all levels) with their own commercial of  "Hail to the D." I think you all can figure out what the V and the D stand for....  The "Hail to the D" commercial started and Punkin Head instantly began laughing and pointing at the TV.  She sat in my lap, chuckling and pointing through the whole segment. I laughed right along with her and then promptly turned the TV off, even though I was tempted to finish the whole episode as Punkin Head obviously has a similar sense of humor as her mama.

I admit that I love when Punkin Head laughs at "adult-type" things... she has no idea what is really being said, yet she chuckles right along with her dad and me.  Last night during dinner, her daddy was talking about a project he was working on outside and I was able to respond with a "that's what she said!" Punkin Head laughed right along with us.  Her reaction to adult humor is a reminder that in the not-so-distant future, her daddy and I are going to have to be more mindful of what we say when Punkin Head is present, but for now I'm just going to enjoy her well-timed, yet possibly inappropriate, laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment